Wednesday 21 September 2011

Across France the first 1000 km

yo yo yo

These internet cafes are few and far between in France.
yes yes yes, I've crossed the whole daan country now. I'm in Tarbes looking up at the pyrenees thinkin, oh they look kinda large. well i guess that's the next mission.



So I'm 1152 km in now and thats my first 1000 km i have ever cylced in my life!
Just a few more thousand to till i get any where near Africa. Oh well I guess i'll just keep peddling on.
So It's finaly stopped raining and now been roasting in beautiful sunshine for the last few days. I followed the Camino de St Jaque de Compostella for about a week that took me through some beautiful country side and endless historic towns and villages. The French countryside does all seem strangely empty though and then all of a sudden i'll stumble across a fantastic medieval castle, walled village or beautiful church. The most amazing was a 12th century cave church that had been carved out of the white rock of the hillside. It totaly blew me and had the most incredible acoustics inside.


I think it was in place called St Aulaye on the old pilgrimage route and was stunning. I love the fact that i have no idea what i'm going to stumble across next.

Like these characters on the road side:

The other thing that these places around there and in the Dodogne have a lot of is English people who have sold up and moved south to live the dream in the sun. There are so many big old beautiful farm houses looking a bit sorry for themsleves and in need of a bit of love i can understand why. So in the  old square amidst the cafes there'll be an estate agent and some English folk dreamily looking in the windows searching for their retirement home.

It's been pretty quite on the road but have met a few good folk and been well looked after in times of need. I'm still loving the random wild camping but spent a night in Harley's veg garden that was great and left there with plenty veg for a few days and a few new guitar chords. I imagine as soon as i hit the camino going into Spain there'll be a whole crew of wanderers upon the road.

I did leave the camino recently to stop off at Plum village which is a zen buddhist monestary of Tich Nat Hanh's crew which was a perfect spot to rest up for a couple of days and connect with their teachings.

There is a very peaceful vibe there and they are following such a simple mindful aproach. Sitting meditation at 5.45 followed by a day of Dhama talks, walking meditaion and eating in noble silence. Just what i needed! Many thanks for their hospitality.

So back out there and time to start climbing those hills but one more pic befor i go......


Hey Keith, looks like there's another Daddy K out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment